Think you can’t enjoy snacking when trying to trim down? Well, think again.
When we talk about healthy snacks for weight loss, we often think about fruits and string cheese – you know, the same old snacks we always bring when we go to school or work. And then we wonder why cheeseburgers and French fries look so good.
Snacking is an essential part of your diet. Unfortunately, snacking habits can easily derail even the most conscious dieter. On top of that, most snacks sold in stores are very high in sugar, sodium or oil so a small nibble will quickly ruin your diet routine. Putting together a healthy snacks list should never be a challenge. Most healthy low calorie snacks include ingredients that are commonly found in your refrigerator or pantry.
Bring zest to your snacktime with these 20 healthy snacks for weight loss that are quick and very easy to prepare.
Healthy Snacks for Weight Loss Tip #1: Kale Chips
Replace those potato chips and crackers with Kale chips. They’re delicious and highly nutritious. From garden to your oven in just 15 minutes, you can make kale chips with this recipe below.
- A bunch of Kale
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven at 149 degrees Celsius
- In a large bowl, toss kale making sure every bit is coated with olive oil.
- Arrange kale leaves on baking sheet and bake it for 10 to 15 minutes.
The final result should be crispy – not browned.
Healthy Snacks for Weight Loss Tip #2: Oatmeal with Dried Fruits and Pistachios
Looking for some new oatmeal recipes to fill up those cold winter mornings? Here’s one of the healthy snack recipes to enliven your old-fashioned rolled oats.
- 1 serving of rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon dried raspberries
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon dried cherries
- 1 tablespoon roasted pistachios
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- Prepare the oats.
- Add nutmeg and stir.
- Top it with cherries, cranberries and pistachios.
- Drizzle with honey.
Healthy Snacks for Weight Loss Tip #3: Mashed Avocado
Creamy and healthy, avocado is perfect in salads and salsas. See how you can make a star out of a nutritious avocado with one of our simple healthy snack .
- 2 pieces avocado, sliced in half 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
- Mashed the avocado until it becomes creamy, salsa-like consistency.
- Chill. Serve with crisp bread.
Healthy Snacks for Weight Loss Tip #4: Roasted Nuts
Toasting nuts brings out their natural flavour. On top of that, you can also add your favorite spice/flavour mixtures. Here’s a very easy recipe that you can include in your healthy snacks list.
- 2 cups mixed nuts
- 2 tablespoon melted butter
- Ground black pepper
- Preheat over at 232 degrees Celsius
- Place the nuts in a mixing bowl and add butter, pepper and salt.
- Toss the nuts and put them on a baking sheet.
- Roast for 10 minutes and shake occasionally until they turns brown.
Healthy Snacks for Weight Loss Tip #5: Tuna Cracker Sandwich
Delicious, easy and healthy, tuna cracker sandwich is one of the best healthy snacks for weight loss and metabolism. Tuna is a great source of protein and Omega-3, which is the ‘good’ fat.
- 2 multigrain crackers
- 1 85-gram can chunk tuna
- 1 lemon wedge
- 1 tablespoon low-fat mayo
- 1 sliced scallion
- Ground pepper
- Top crackers with tuna, mayo and scallion.
- Squeeze lemon on top and add pepper
Healthy Snacks for Weight Loss Tip #6: Greek Yogurt Drizzled with Honey and Berries
Creamy, sweet and filling, this combination is totally indulgent. Like other healthy snacks for weight loss, this trio of protein, fiber and essential nutrients will certainly get you over your slump. The Vitamin C present in berries will also improve your fat-burning ability.
Simply top raspberry or strawberry in a cup of yogurt and drizzle with honey. Enjoy.
Healthy Snacks for Weight Loss Tip #7: Chicken Pita Sandwich
Often, the most balanced and best healthy snacks for weight loss are the ones that begin as full meals: a plate of leftovers from the dinner last night or a half sandwich.
Make a chicken pita sandwich in the morning and divide it in half for morning and afternoon snacks.
- 2 pita breads
- 115 grams cooked boneless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons vinaigrette
- 1 cup spinach
- ½ cup red capsicum, sliced
- In a bowl, mix chicken, spinach, vinaigrette and bell pepper.
- Gently toss. Serve with pita breads.
Healthy Snacks for Weight Loss Tip #8: Lentil Salad
Giving you with 65 percent of your daily intake of dietary fibre, a serving of lentil salad will keep you full and satisfied. Salads are not only limited for mealtime – they make healthy snacks for weight loss too. Lentils are packed with protein and fibre that will leave you satiated for hours.
- 2 cups cooked lentils
- Chopped garlic chopped onion, medium size
- Mediterranean dressing
- ½ cup tomatoes, diced
- ½ cup chopped red capsicum
- 2 cups romaine lettuce
- Combine lentils, garlic, onion, tomatoes and red capsicum in a bowl.
- Add Mediterranean dressing and toss.
- Serve with lettuce.
Healthy Snacks for Weight Loss Tip #9: Low-Calorie Devilled Eggs
Most devilled egg recipes feature mayonnaise as the main ingredient…besides the egg. Although mayonnaise is very nice for devilled eggs, a tablespoon of it equals 90 calories, which seems not so ideal if you are looking for healthy snack choices. You can try replacing mayonnaise with cottage cheese, Greek yogurt or even avocado. They are equally delicious and healthy compared to mayo.
- Hard boiled eggs
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Peel the eggs and cut lengthwise. Place the egg whites on a plate and the egg yolk in a mixing bowl.
- Put the remaining ingredients with the yolk, except the paprika.
- Mash it all together until smooth.
- Top the yolk mixture on the empty egg whites.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
Healthy Snacks for Weight Loss Tip #10: Tomato Soup
Smooth and rich tomato soup is probably the queen of all soups. Tomato soups can be a great mini-meal snack that can fill a hungry stomach. This snack is packed with healthy goodies such as cancer-fighting lycopene, potassium and beta-carotene. Here’s a very simple tomato soup recipe that you can try at home.
- 4 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Over medium heat, bring tomatoes, cloves, onion and chicken broth to boil for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour the tomato mixture through the food mill in a pan.
- In another empty pot, melt butter and add the flour to form a roux. This will be used as a thickener for the soup. Cook until brown. Mix with tomato mixture.
- Season with salt and sugar to taste.
Healthy Snacks for Weight Loss Tip #11: Roasted Edamame
One of the best healthy snacks for weight loss, one cup of edamame satisfies one-third of your daily protein and fibre needs. One way to enjoy edamame is by roasting it. The sweet flavour of the peas is balanced by black pepper and salt. Follow this very simple recipe:
- 450 grams shelled edamame
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven at 190 degrees Celsius
- In a bowl, toss the edamame with salt, pepper and olive oil.
- In a baking sheet, spread the edamame and roast for 30 to 40 minutes. Watch the peas puffing. Roast until golden brown in color.
Healthy Snacks for Weight Loss Tip #12: Mini Bruschetta
Bruschetta is a simple, delicious and fresh Italian appetizer that can be done in minutes. Enjoy it anytime of the day. Simply have a slice of whole wheat toast and brush it with olive oil. Top it with diced tomatoes, chopped onion, chopped garlic and fresh basil and voila! You now have a surely appetizing snack that’s nutritious and low in calories.
Healthy Snacks for Weight Loss Tip #13: Low Calorie Fruit Smoothie
For a tasty, refreshing and nutrition-packed snack, try a smoothie or shake. You will save as much as 200 calories for every 2 to 3 cup serving, compared to canned smoothies or store-bought shakes. Try this simple antioxidant-filled smoothie at home.
Combine and blend ½ banana, one cup unsweetened blueberries, ¼ cup wheat germ and water.
Or this smoothie recipe:
Combine and blend ¾ cup plain low fat frozen yogurt, 1 cup strawberries, 1 small banana, ¼ of medium orange, ½ teaspoon vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon sugar. Process until smooth and with no chunks remaining.
Healthy Snacks for Weight Loss Tip #14: Banana with Peanut Butter
Spread the sweetness and creaminess of peanut butter on a banana. The protein in it will keep you going for hours while the carbs will provide you with energy spike and quick mood. Eating peanut better can help keep you satiated throughout the day.
Healthy Snacks for Weight Loss Tip #15: Popcorn
Popcorn is one of the healthy snacks for weight loss that has surprising few calories. One cup of air-popped popcorn, without any oil or butter, contains only 30 calories.
Skip the movie versions as they are loaded with fat, and the microwave. Instead, create healthy low calorie snacks by cooking them over the stove with a little vegetable oil.
Snacking may seem like a bad idea when trying to lose weight, but it isn’t snacking that gets you into trouble. The truth is, it’s the kind of food that you tend to snack on that instantly overloads you with calories and fats.
This Is What You Can Do Next
If you’ve enjoyed this article and you want more valuable tips and support, then you can do 3 things right now.
1. Claim your free subscription
Sign up for our newsletter with high quality health and wellness tips.
2. Book for our “new clients’ special offer
We at Beyond Good Health can help you. Beyond Good Health Holistic Medical Clinic Brisbane and Gold Coast offer holistic health services tailored for your specific health needs. To book for our special 60-minute introductory offer, you need to click HERE and have your overall health status checked by our expert alternative medicine practitioner in Brisbane and Gold Coast. For ALL new clients, we also offer for a limited time, a BONUS 30-minute comprehensive Body Scan.
What will you get? We will take your detailed health history, discuss your current health symptoms, identify your high-risk behaviour and environmental factors, outline a personalised step-by-step plan for your health journey and a BONUS full 3D body scan of all body systems!
3. Share this article with your family and friends
Click on one of the social media buttons below and share this valuable information with all the people your care for. We believe that sharing is caring!
Beyond Good Health Brisbane
Address: 13/221-223 Waterworks Rd, Ashgrove QLD 4060
Phone:(07) 3366 8955